May 26th, 2006

Boss Coffee

Where'd my Thursday go?

Sugar poisoning...that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it. OTOH, I was pretty tired to start with, so it's no big surprise that I came home last night, sorted through the mail (e-mail and snail mail both) and went to bed early after unenthusiastically eating a turkey bologna sandwich for dinner. It's a measure of how tired I was that I didn't even bother to open the new copy of Aerosmith's Pump that came in the mail from yourmusic.com, or the new stockings from Apria either.

This morning was different. I woke up at 5:15, noodled around the Internet (while listening to Pump) before finally getting ready for the day, and then headed off for Denny's 5th Avenue Bakery, hoping it was a bakery-cum-cafe. Sadly, this was not the case, though their baked goods were okay; I wound up stopping at the SA on Nicollet and grabbing a couple of their breakfast sandwiches (too long in the heatlamps, those were) and a quart of milk to wash down various baked items with. (No, this will do my waistline and blood sugar no good at all.) After that, I drove in to work, and here I am. There's not much to do today, so I guess it's just as well they're letting us go at 3:30.

Currently reading: William Dietz' HALO: The Flood
hardcore

Conservative rock top 50? Um, right.

I'm not sure quite what to make of John Miller's list of the 50 best conservative rock songs. My general attitude towards rock when it gets political is that 99% of it is lame and the other 1% should, as Frank Zappa once recommended, "shut up and play yer guitar". A lot of the stuff he lists is pretty obscure, the sort of stuff that self-styled "aficionados" like and the rest of us have never heard of (Graham Parsons?) or stuff that probably required a fair amount of digging in the deep tracks.
Collapse )

Jeez. I need to go get some lunch.
Obligatory hat-tipping to Michelle Malkin and Ann Althouse. I think Althouse is right about a lot of those songs being about an aversion to politics and politicians rather than small-government conservatism/libertarianism, BTW.

UPDATE I think Lileks has the right idea:
Lists like these give me hives. Expecting anything from the lyrics of a rock song - besides "we who are about to rock, and are currently in the process of prepatory rocking, salute you who are likewise engaged in the rocking process" - seems to miss the point of the genre.