1. Was 2018 a good year for you?
Not at all. In fact, it was pretty fucking miserable.
2. What was your favorite moment(s) of the year?
a. Getting approved for the lease on my new apartment.
3. What was your least favorite moment(s) of the year?
a. The whole process of moving out of Somerset Gardens
b. The related process of trying to get my relocation money
c. Getting a severe infection and spending a long weekend in Sunset Hospital
d. Severing my connections with Anime Twin Cities and Anime Detour.
4. What did you do in 2018 that you’d never done before?
Walked away from something I started (see 3d, above)
5. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't do New Year's resolutions because I suck at following through on them.
Having said that, I am going to make serious attempts to:
a) stay rested and on track dietarily (Better this year than last year)
b) especially during tax season (Not so much)
c) keep better track of my money and put more of it away (Epic fail)
6. Where were you when 2018 began?
Home chowing down on taquitos from 7-11 after doing a Root Boy Slim thing.
7. Who were you with?
Nobody. When I drink alone, I prefer to be by myself.
8. Where were you when 2018 ended?
Home in the new apartment
9. Who will you be with when 2018 ends?
10. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My niece Valerie
11. Did you lose anybody close to you in 2018?
12. Who did you miss?
There were some people I would have liked to have seen at Balticon, but it didn't happen.
13. Who was the best new person you met in 2018?
Yvonne the Realtor, who stuck with me and helped me get into this place.
14. What was your favorite month of 2018?
January. Everything seemed new and full of possibilities. What a stupid delusion that was, huh?
15. Did you travel outside of the US in 2018?
No. What for?
16. How many different states did you travel to in 2018?
Minnesota. Utah. Passed through Arizona to get to Utah, but that doesn't really count.
17. What would you like to have in 2019 that you lacked in 2018?
Money. A new pancreas. The usual.
18. What date from 2018 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
There aren't any days from this year I really want to remember.
19. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Not dying of sepsis in October, but I had a lot of help.
20. What was your biggest failure?
Overloading my ass at UNLV and failing most of the classes I took in the spring and summer.
21. Did you suffer illness or injury?
About two weeks after my birthday, I contracted a really bad infection that put me in the hospital for five days, and in a nursing home for another ten days. Three weeks after that, I still wasn't in shape to go back to driving.
22. What was the best thing you bought?
A replacement for Learned Cow: a refurbished Dell Optiplex with 16GB of RAM and a kickass video card.
23. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My friends and family, who raised a ton of money for me in October when I needed it the most.
Special thanks to Stacy McCain and Glenn Reynolds, who put up the Wombat Signal on their blogs, because that helped tremendously.
24. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The leadership of Anime Twin Cities and Anime Detour. You assholes know what you did.
25. Where did most of your money go?
Rent, food, gasoline. The usual. Also. hotel rooms.
26. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Honestly, I haven't had the energy to be excited about much this year, and even less to be excited about.
27. Did you drink a lot of alcohol in 2018?
28. Did you do a lot of drugs in 2018?
Despite recreational marijuana being legalized by Nevada last year, no.
29. Did you treat somebody badly in 2018?
Not this year.
30. Did somebody treat you badly in 2018?
No, I can't honestly say anyone did. All the suckage was purely situational.
Well, my English professor didn't return my copy of THE ATROCITY ARCHIVES, but I can't say she didn't warn me.
31. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? - About the same level of sadness as last year.
ii. thinner or fatter? - Thinner. I lost fifteen pounds in the hospital, and even without that, I was on track to lose another 10 pounds.
iii. richer or poorer? - A little richer.
32. What do you wish you’d done more of in 2018?
33. What do you wish you’d done less of?
I wish I hadn't wasted time and money on going back to college.
34. Did you fall in love in 2018?
No, but I lusted in my heart after a fair number of women.
35. What was your favorite TV program(s)?
Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works. I'm so far behind on The Man In The High Castle, it's not funny.
36. What song will always remind you of 2018?
Mariya Takechi's "Plastic Love"
37. How many concerts did you see in 2018?
38. Did you have a favorite concert in 2018?
See previous question.
39. What was your greatest musical discovery?
40. What was the best book you read?
Tough competition again this year. Of the new crop, I have to give the nod to Larry Correia's Monster Hunter International: Siege over Nick Cole's Pop Kult Warlord (the sequel to Soda Pop Soldier) and Tom Kratman's A Pillar Of Fire By Night.
41. What was your favorite film of this year?
42. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I went out to Fogo de Chao and ate ALL THE MEATS. I am now 59.
43. What did you want and get?
A denim jacket to replace the one (I think) I handed down to P ages ago.
44. What did you want and not get?
Forgiveness. I guess it's back ordered. Possibly out of stock.
45. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
46. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2018?
"The Festive Color Of My Tribe Is Black", although I'm continuing to branch out into khaki.
47. What kept you sane?
I'm not certain I am actually sane.
48. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Seriously, my respect for Taylor Swift as an artist and decent person just keeps increasing.
I like a singer who doesn't feel compelled to lecture her audience about political and social issues.
49. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2018.
Stop having dumb arguments with smart people.
50. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"...until my ship comes in, I'll live night by night."