Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

So, about Rhode Island...

I had a client this past tax season who had one of those consulting jobs that took her hither and yon across the fruited plains, and as a result she had five state returns attached to her Federal income tax return. (I talked her out of filing three more since the cost of doing them was far more than the piddly two or three bucks she was going to get back.) A couple of weeks later, client comes back with a corrected W-2 from her employers; the bottom line was that instead of earning $1500 or so in Rhode Island, she'd actually earned three times that. Still, she was entitled to most of it back, so I filed the necessary amendment paperwork and forgot about it as soon as she was out the door.

Two months later, after we'd shifted into off-season mode (i.e. after 4/15) she came back again, thoroughly pissed because Rhode Island, which had already cut her a refund check before the amendment showed up, was refusing to send her an additional refund based on the amendment. Basically, their attitude was they'd already paid her refund, and if she wanted more money, that was too fucking bad. Client was adamant that I must have screwed up the amendment somehow. Two other tax pros reviewed it and didn't see any errors. Office head called Rhode Island and got the same line: they'd already paid the refund, they weren't going to pay any more, and fuck your amendment. Come up here and sue us.

Client had, per my advice, bought Peace of Mind coverage because of all the state returns, and filed a claim to get her tax preparation fees -for the original return AND the amendment- back "because Kevin must have done something wrong." Last I heard, Corporate was leaning toward paying the claim despite the objections of both the tax pros who'd handled it in the off-season...but it's not my problem any more.



( 2 comments — Leave a comment )
May. 19th, 2015 04:14 pm (UTC)
Since the amount is relatively small, I see only two solutions.

1. A class action suit in federal court.

2. Refile, this time checking "use the refund for next year's taxes". Then, next year, just include that amount as already paid.
May. 19th, 2015 04:38 pm (UTC)
It was probably dealt with months ago. I didn't see her this year, which is probably just as well for both of us.
( 2 comments — Leave a comment )



Latest Month

June 2019

Page Summary

Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Lilia Ahner