On balance, it's been better than 2012, not that that's saying a whole hell of a lot.
2. What was your favorite moment(s) of the year?
- AFU no Breakfast in August
- Seeing Cousin Terry and his family, also in August
- Seeing my niece Val and her family, also also in August
- Seeing P (not enough) in October
3. What was your least favorite moment(s) of the year?
- Going into the VA hospital with a serious leg infection this April
- Losing about a third of AD 2013 to the aforementioned infection
- Spending twelve hours at Dulles waiting for the flight to Midway and another five at Midway for the flight to MSP (which probably contributed to the preceding)
4. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before?
- Bought a civilian jacket for the first time in decades.
- Various tax things.
5. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't do New Year's resolutions because I suck at following through on them.
Having said that, I am going to make serious attempts to:
a) stay rested and on track dietarily
b) especially during tax season
c) keep better track of my money and put more of it away
6. Where were you when 2013 began?
In a hotel in Springfield, waiting to move into my new space.
7. Who were you with?
It was just me and my teddy bear.
8. Where will you be when 2013 ends?
At home. On the computer.
9. Who will you be with when 2013 ends?
Whoever else is drunk and/or socially inept enough to be playing EVE.
10. Did anyone close to you give birth?
11. Did you lose anybody close to you in 2013?
12. Who did you miss?
I would have liked to have spent more time with my Detour peeps when I wasn't sick and/or bedridden.
I also missed my kids, at different times for different reasons.
13. Who was the best new person you met in 2013?
Didn't meet any new people that impressed me all that much.
14. What was your favorite month of 2013?
Despite the infection, April. August gave it a good run for the money, though.
15. Did you travel outside of the US in 2013?
No. This is not likely to change for the foreseeable future, either.
16. How many different states did you travel to in 2013?
Maryland and Virginia. DC is not a state.
17. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
A desk chair that doesn't suck or cost half a grand. I understand these may be mutually exclusive.
18. What date from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
This year didn't have any days that were quite that memorable.
19. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting my weight down below 350 in October. :)
20. What was your biggest failure?
Not keeping it below 350 for the remaining months of the year. :(
21. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Spent a week in the Minneapolis VA medical center with a bad case of cellulitis.
22. What was the best thing you bought?
The Samsung Galaxy Note II phone, which replaced the Pixi in October.
23. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My kids, for different reasons.
24. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The ex-wife, but it didn't really involve me so I got over it pretty quickly.
25. Where did most of your money go?
Rent, food, gasoline. The usual.
26. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Moving to Las Vegas.
27. Did you drink a lot of alcohol in 2013?
More than I did in 2012, which again is not saying a whole lot.
28. Did you do a lot of drugs in 2013?
None that weren't prescribed for me.
29. Did you treat somebody badly in 2013?
No, I was a pretty laid-back wombat this year. As I am most years, really.
30. Did somebody treat you badly in 2013?
I will not complain about my clients on LJ. (Repeat 100x)
31. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? - Happier, a little.
ii. thinner or fatter? - Thinner, some.
iii. richer or poorer? - A little richer; I did manage to put away some of this year's commission from tax work in the Cardboard Box Fund.
32. What do you wish you’d done more of in 2013?
Working. I would much rather have been working than collecting unemployment and disability.
33. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Eating out, but under the circumstances that's a bit difficult.
34. Did you fall in love in 2013?
No, but I lusted in my heart after a number of women.
35. What was your favorite TV program(s)?
Haven't seen enough TV this year to have a favorite program.
36. What song will always remind you of 2013?
"Beer For My Horses"
37. How many concerts did you see in 2013?
One. Sammy Hagar at Nationals Park, August 29.
38. Did you have a favorite concert in 2013?
39. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Didn't have one; most of the music this year was replacing stuff I used to own or country music I'd heard before but never got around to buying.
40. What was the best book you read?
Michael Flynn's On the Razor's Edge, beating out Neal Stephenson's Reamdeon points.
41. What was your favorite film of this year?
I saw exactly two movies this year, one of which was Ender's Game, and that's my pick.
42. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Had lunch at the Dulles Town Center Red Robin with cipherpunk and Mark T.
This year, I am 54.
43. What did you want and get?
For my birthday? Time with friends. And I got it, too!
44. What did you want and not get?
A sugar mama. (JUST KIDDING!)
45. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
46. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?
"The Festive Color Of My Tribe Is Black", although I am starting to branch out into khaki.
47. What kept you sane?
I'm not certain I am actually sane.
48. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Unlike certain beloved Twin Cities baseball bloggers, I am too modest to publish a list of contenders for Official Fantasy Girl of Wombat Rampant.
49. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.
Exhaustion and stress BAD. Rest and relaxation GOOD.
50. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"You got to saddle up your boys, you got to draw a hard line"