Was kind of tempted to fold Jo's fannish meme into this, but to be honest, I haven't been very fannish this year. Due to inertia, baseball, distractions, and a general lack of money (mostly the latter) I haven't been watching any of the hot new shows or the old ones, for that matter, and that goes double for anime. Poverty has also kept me from doing much with EVE, which really annoys me. Perhaps worst of all, I've gotten way behind again in keeping up with Stipple-APA. Well, there'll be time for all that after the CPA is done. For now, on with the memeage!
1. Was 2010 a good year for you?
Yes. Even though I spent most of it broke, a lot of it stressed out, and one of my best friends died, on balance this has been a good year.
2. What was your favorite moment(s) of the year?
This is going to sound really weird, but being hotdropped by friends and family a week after I got out of the hospital and told I needed to get my shit together and change the direction of my life.
3. What was your least favorite moment(s) of the year?
- Going into the VA hospital with a serious leg infection this February, right in the middle of tax season. :(
- Failing all three of my online classes this fall
- Worst of all, losing Richard.
4. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
Changed to a low-carb ketogenic diet and stuck with it. This led to losing 40 pounds since I started doing this seriously in April, and right now I've dropped almost 70 pounds from my peak weight of 425.
5. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't do New Year's resolutions because I suck at following through on them.
6. Where were you when 2010 began?
Home. I really don't do New Year's Eve stuff any more.
7. Who were you with?
It was just me and my teddy bear.
8. Where will you be when 2010 ends?
Probably the same. And you know, I'm okay with that.
9. Who will you be with when 2010 ends?
10. Did anyone close to you give birth?
11. Did you lose anybody close to you in 2010?
12. Who did you miss?
That's kind of redundant, don't you think?
13. Who was the best new person you met in 2010?
I don't think I met a whole lot of new people this year, though I certainly met a lot of people I hadn't seen in years.
14. What was your favorite month of 2010?
August. That was the month I finally got my blood sugar under control enough to do without the insulin, to say nothing of the statins.
15. Did you travel outside of the US in 2010?
16. How many different states did you travel to in 2010?
Maryland and Virginia. DC is not a state.
17. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
A steady job to cover me between tax season and whatever job I get once I have my CPA. I don't care if it's temporary, so long as it covers the rent and the bills.
18. What date from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
December first. Good night, Richard. ;_;
19. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Pulling an all-nighter to max the final in Principles of Federal Taxation, which meant that I passed the course with a C instead of failing miserably.
20. What was your biggest failure?
Wiping out on the three online courses this semester.
21. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I spent two weeks in the hospital back in February, but since then I haven't had anything worse than allergies and colds. Okay, there was that two-day bout with the flu after I got the shots for it. >:(
22. What was the best thing you bought?
Learned Cow, the refurbed Gateway desktop that replaced the Failbox.
23. Whose behavior merited celebration?
- My son is going to college
- My daughter, my brother, and my friends rallied and made me realign my headspace back in February. Thanks for saving my life, people.
24. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Nobody I really care about.
25. Where did most of your money go?
Rent, food, gas...didn't spend much money on nonessential stuff this year.
26. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Losing all that weight, and the virtues of low-carbing it. I find myself having to repress the urge to evangelize.
27. Did you drink a lot of alcohol in 2010?
None, actually. Can't handle it any more, really.
28. Did you do a lot of drugs in 2010?
None that weren't prescribed for me.
29. Did you treat somebody badly in 2010?
No, I was a pretty laid-back wombat this year.
30. Did somebody treat you badly in 2010?
No. In fact, a lot of people treated me better than I deserved. #^_^#
31. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? - Happier. Definitely.
ii. thinner or fatter? - Thinner. Much thinner.
iii. richer or poorer? - Poorer, definitely.
32. What do you wish you’d done more of in 2010?
Working. I would much rather have been working than collecting unemployment.
33. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Wasting time on the Internet, especially in this past semester. I spent way too much time being ADD on Facebook instead of doing schoolwork, and it came back to bite me in the ass.
34. Did you fall in love in 2010?
No, although I lusted in my heart after a number of women.
35. What was your favorite TV program(s)?
Haven't seen enough TV this year to have a favorite program.
36. What song will always remind you of 2010?
There's two of them, actually: Stacie Collins' "Tied To You" and "Days Of Wine And Roses" by Jason & The Scorchers.
37. How many concerts did you see in 2010?
I saw Jason & The Scorchers with Stacie Collins at the Iota Club. That was $20 well spent, let me tell you.
38. Did you have a favorite concert in 2010?
That was the only concert I saw this year.
39. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Stacie Collins. OMFG, that girl can sing and play the harmonica like nobody's business. Also, she is smokin' HOT. Al Collins is a VERY lucky man.
40. What was the best book you read?
Can't decide between S.M. Stirling's The Sword of the Lady and Charles Stross' The Fuller Memorandum. Honorable mention to Gary Taubes' Good Calories, Bad Calories.
41. What was your favorite film of this year?
Another tie, this time between Kick-Ass and Blade.
42. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
P and I went out for wings. I am 51 this year.
43. What did you want and get?
For my birthday? Nothing, and I got it, too! In abundance!
44. What did you want and not get?
A pallet-load of pork rinds and a lifetime supply of Diet Coke.
45. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Having Richard recover from his illness.
46. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
Pretty much the same as it was in 2006; "The Festive Color Of My Tribe Is Black"
47. What kept you sane?
My friends and my family. God bless all of you.
48. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I think I'm pretty much past that.
49. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
Don't eat a carb. That shit'll kill you.
50. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"I remember what my daddy would do/Cold steel in his eyes of blue/Not a word while carrying the weight/I only hope I didn't learn too late..."